Monday, April 16, 2012

HOW TO= Stripping: Tools and Equipment

OK well here we go continuing on our HOW TO series with Stripping Tools and Equipment. Stripping is an essential skill for the Budget Gamer. Buying on Ebay and Bartertown most used models will have paint on them, and 99% of the time its NOT your scheme or level of painting. By stripping the old paint off you bring back detail and allow a "less than happy" paint job transform into a Very nice piece of your Army. Here is how I do things, and know that this is not the only way to do it But ONLY the way I do.

Tools and Equipment
First off what do I need to strip paint?? Well Basics are Stripper liquid, Models to strip and something to hold them in. Heres what I use to put everything in....
Homer Bucket= Home Depot For $3-5. ENSURE YOU GET A LID!!



I Use 2 of these And have a "shallow" and a "deep" soak. I put troop models and the like in "shallow" while my "deep" I put tanks and titans in. This is not needed but I find it easier to pull troops out of a shallow bath VS deep and Shallow will not cover most large tanks. Just me though and not needed. I have seen some people put models in a mason jar and paint cans. I use paintcand bought at Home Depot for metals but only use Acetone in them, Simple green WILL EAT the impurities in the metal......And is why I use Acetone too But more on this later.

Now we need the stripping liquid.
 I use Simple green and Acetone. 

I buy 5 Gallons at a pop and spend $50 or so bucks for it and Buy Actone for about $15 a gallon. ONLY PUT Acetone in metal, and use safety precautions. Simple green is eco and user friendly so I use it for most of my things. Simple green DOES however eat impurities in metals and I use Acetone to clean Metals. Acetone also melts superglue and and plastic parts so I like to use it for metals.

And Something to remove my parts. 
a strainer
I use this to remove parts and also to set in my sink to catch small parts I drop. You can get these from ANY place like WalMart, Target, or Kmart. No need to spend lots of cash on this and its not a requirement.

Last you will need something to scrub with.
Denture Brush, Tooth Brush and Electric brush
 I use mostly the denture brush because it has a tooth brush AND a cone shaped detail brush. not only that but its got a large handle and is easy on the hands for long periods of stripping. I also give the standard toothbrush a workout also but some use electric toothbrushes. Whatever you want to use as a brush is fine.

This is all you need for the actual stripping. I also use certain tools to break up models and break them down before and after stripping. Heres a list of them.
Up first is something I use all the time.....
Screwdrivers

I use a precision set as well as regular screwdrivers. I use quality screwdrivers from Craftsman for a prybar because if I damage them I can return them no questions asked. I have yet to damage one, even though I have tried!!! For my precision screwdrivers I bought them on sale at some auto store bargain bin for like $5 I think. Now I use both common and Phillips, Here is a pic for those who dont know the difference...
I use the Phillips as a punch to push things that need it and the common or Flat as a pry and a wedge. its one of those things that you can experiment and develop your own way. NOW you dont NEED this one and its probably worthless for our purposes but its cool.....





I also always have cutters
Nippers and Sidecutters

OK well we SHOULD have these already BUT they are almost required to have. I use nippers for small stuff and side cutters for the big stuff.

And Lastly Another must have you should have in your toolbox....
Exacto blades
Self explanatory But you might find a use for these while doing the hobby....;) I use them to cut glue welds and models from bases and such.....

OK well this is what I use to strip models. I hope you find it useful and any questions leave a comment!!

Till next time Serve the Emperor well!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment