Monday, April 9, 2012

New Citadel Paints.... A Munkey eye view

OK well today I was able to sample the NEW RANGE of GW paints. There are SO MANY reviews and talk about them right now So I will try to give you my input in a simple format as Im a simple guy who likes to paint BUT I have never won a Golden Deamon.  Matter of Fact the closest I have come to one is working with Jen Haley and  Tom Schladel At Gencon and seeing Dave Taylor at My Semi local gaming store....We live about 30 mins apart....LOL!! Anyway I will Give a Humble opinion of the new range for all the OK painters out there for whom this set is targeted to.

CAVEAT: I have Mild  Anomalous trichromacy (Deuteranomaly) AKA red-green color deficiency. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish red-green shades and those DAMNABLE Ishihara color test plates are the bane of my existence. I do well on the Farnsworth Lantern Test Though and served Proudly in the military. Just Be aware that my color SHADES are affected but saturation and pigment are not.


OK well on to the review!!

The Basics
These seem to be pretty good paints as usual. The colors are different BUT GW has almost DOUBLED their line. They went from 72 paints to 142 paints. Very nice! I also like the fact they uphold good quality paint, As expected. The prices have stayed the same for the most part ($.30+ USD per mL The MOST EXPENSIVE of all paint) so this will make GW fans happy as its not another price hike!. They also went back to the old bottles that have a little tab to hold it open and seem to seal better. This is a plus and a minus for me, as I dont like the tabs BUT sealing your paint has always been a problem with GW.... OH and they used names from their own IP and for me some of the names are lost in translation. But thats just me...;)

Now In depth look.

  1. Base: These seem to be the replacement to the Foundation paint range. These are fairly different as they are smoother and strong colors But they are less like foundations and more like regular paint. Very strong pigmented paints!!!. They seem to cover pretty well and require 2+ coats for good coverage NOT the one coat wonder like GW claims. I do like they added Metallic bases and a White for Black Templar players. Its like the Old Days when you used Tin Bitz as a base for ALL your metals!! All in all they are a easy to use, good coverage paint. 
  2. Layer: These seem to replace the standard paints. Again almost double your range of colors so A+ there.They seem to be on par with most other top lines out there in color strength and consistency. Not much changes here, but i was happy with the old paints and VERY HAPPY about the addition of more colors.
  3. Shade: These replace the washes. These are good and Not much has changed. I like how they are easy to use and help lesser painters like me help cover up our mistakes. Again not much changed.
  4. Glaze: These seem to be a Thin wash possibly for blending and smoothing transitions. I think these are more for advanced painters who are looking to transition their colors and look for graduating colors. Anyone who is was thinking of Glazes Should be able to smooth their colors with these but they do seem more for the advanced painter VS the basic hobby painter.
  5. Dry: These are new and made to help drybrushers. There is nothing else like them on the market currently so I have NO comparison with any other product. I did not use these much BUT I saw them used and they seem to be Very good for those who drybrush. These are basicly like very paint and you dip your brush in and drybrush. No real wiping paint needed! They are pigment with little acrylic flow medium. What I noticed from users was a drybrush effect with little "chalky drybrushery" signs.
  6. Texture: These are also new and would help out with bases or mud effects. These are THICK paints with fine sand or something in them and you need a thick strong brush to apply. Old drybrush or tank brush would be Ok. Again I did not use these BUT They were being used on Bases and on Tanks. On bases I think they looked OK but it seemed to take alot and you had to use 2 coats. It worked well as mud effects on tanks though and if I were to use them I would use them for that.
  7. Technicals: these are Acrylic mediums, Gloss Varnish, Liquid green stuff and brush on Primer. I did not use these and did not see them being used.  I imagine they are on par with the old versions.
Overall Opinion??
Im Happy about the expansion of the range, but the Dry compounds and texture seem like a gimmic. The Paints are good but 2-3X the price of Vallejo Reaper or Privateer press P3 and these are of the same quality. Also the pots are Better BUT I am still of the belief that GW wants your paints to dry out and for you to buy more. Washes and glazes are good but again for the price I will continue to make my own using Les Bursleys formula and other recipes I find on the net. I like the range, I may pick up some of the colors, But Overall I will stick with My Vallejo and P3 paints. GW makes a great product but Way overpriced.....

No comments:

Post a Comment